Sunday, September 11, 2011

"They Were Going Up" Sept. 11th, 2001

As I was going through the garage on my way out for my morning walk, 
a noise from the window caught my attention. 
This small bird was trapped between the panes and couldn't get out.
I was able to reach in, catch,
and release it outside. 

 ...so beautiful
 ...and now free!
Although I risked nothing but perhaps a fall from the work bench,
to this little guy, 
I was 
...a heroine.

Real courage is:
"knowing you're licked before you begin
but you begin anyway
and you see it through no matter what."
~Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

I would like to share Tom Paxton's song about the real heroes of 9/11, the fire fighters who went up the stairs of the towers to help others escape while knowing the fate that awaited them.

"The Bravest"


Join Tabitha at Fresh Mommy for more Sunday Citars.

2 comments:

Sybil said...

A dark day in U.S. history indeed. Even here in Canada, there has been non-stop "where were you when?" sort of coverage about 9/11. And stories about the planes that were diverted to Gander.

Sybil said...

Oh my goodness, you must think me such a silly girl. You are in Nova Scotia too and probably hearing the same non-stop CBC coverage of 9/11