Monday, February 6, 2012

Carrot and Asparagus Soup

After spending an enjoyable afternoon at Centre Stage Theater the hubby suggested we stop at one of the fast food restaurants for a quick supper and his fix of burgers and fries. I like my fries as much as the next guy ...and the thought of having no dishes to wash made this idea very tempting, however I was able to resist and we went home for much healthier fare. I threw this soup together using ingredients I had in the fridge and we both found it delicious. I just used what I had on hand, so feel free to add what ever you want.

 Carrot and Asparagus Soup
with toasted Ancient Grains bread.


Carrot and Asparagus Soup
4 - 6 c. chicken stock
6 medium carrots (chop 5 and set the 6th aside)
cooked chicken, cubed (you can leave this out if you want)
1 small onion finely chopped
asparagus, chopped (I used 5 or 6 spears but add as much as you like)
Spices (use your favorite spices - I used a spice mix, cumin/chili/garlic...)
Pepper

Bring chicken stock and chopped carrots to a boil and then simmer until tender. Use an immersion blender to puree the carrots to make a carrot/chicken stock. Add chopped onions and chicken. Using a vegetable peeler and the last carrot, scrape  carrot curls into the stock. Add spices and simmer 10 minutes. Add the
asparagus and simmer another 10 minutes. 

Happy Walking,
Marisa

No comments: