Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Perfect Winter Meal


My first workout of the year
...why it took three weeks to get movin', I'm not sure,
but it felt great!

 

...across the  fields


and through the orchards
...mild with no wind...quiet and still
...just the sound of my snowshoes in the snow.
...perfect solitude...


...then home to cook the 
perfect winter meal...

Sauerkraut, pork and potatoes!

I've been craving a good mess of kraut all week.


Although sauerkraut is a German name it is not a national German dish, and is actually eaten mostly in Russia, United States, and France. It is believed to originate in Alsace, a traditionally German speaking region that today belongs to France. All I know is that I grew up eating this stuff and my family origins are German on both my Mom's side...Wile derived from the German name "Weil" and my Dad's...Hiltz derived from the German name "Huls" whose ancestors immigrated here from Germany in the mid 1700's.

Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage and we all know fermented food is good for you. I have certainly eaten my share of not only sauerkraut but turnipkraut, pickled beans and pickled heads (cabbage heads), all which are fermented in basically the same way under a salt water brine. Fermented foods load your gut with good healthy bacteria that helps prevent things like irritable bowel syndrome and also helps to boost a strong immune system. I attribute my robust immune system to a diet that includes fermented foods, like sauerkraut, and lots of home made yogurt...as well as the fact that we didn't have indoor plumbing until I was sixteen. When you come from a family of ten and have to share things like drinking water from a bucket using the same dipper, as well as sharing bath water and using outdoor toilet facilities, a "two seater," you share more than you think... but that's OK...early exposure to bad stuff just makes you stronger.

Although there are lots of ways to prepare sauerkraut, the basic meal of sauerkraut with pork couldn't be simplifier, just add it to a pot along with your choice of meat and simmer for about two hours.  


Start with your choice of pork. Some people like to use sweet pickled pork or ribs, but I prefer using either a fresh pork shoulder or pork chops.


Place meat in a large pot, dump in your favorite brand of sauerkraut, I used two large cartons because we love sauerkraut and leftovers are even better than the first time round. Add water to just barely cover the sauerkraut, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about two hours. I like to cook mine untl the meat is tender and falls apart.

 
Serve meat and sauerkraut along side mashed potatoes, or as I like it...a la mode...add a few generous grinds of pepper and your favorite pickles and you have a delicious hot "old world" meal.

No comments: