Friday, October 28, 2011

Finding Love In A Bowl Of Oatmeal

As a child I hated cooked oatmeal....neither the instant kind you just added hot water to or porridge cooked slowly in a pot on the stove. I found its slimy texture disgusting and no matter how many times my mother cooked it and offered it to us kids with  encouraging words like "it's good for you", or on a cold winter day, "you need a hot  breakfast to warm your belly", I couldn't stomach it. While I cooked oatmeal occasionally over the years for hubby or for the girls as they were growing up, I always declined eating it myself until the past week because I know my mom was right...oatmeal is good for you! So, in my attempt to eat healthier high fiber non-processed foods, I bit the bullet and ate my oatmeal.

But I still don't like it...however, topped with a spoonful of ground flax seed and All Bran cereal, a dollop of plain yogurt and a chopped apple and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, it was at least palatable.

1 comment:

Grace said...

For me, adding a ripe banana makes all the difference (usually don't need to add extra sugar either). Just add banana slices about half way through and mash like crazy. I also tend to eat it with a spoonful of nut butter, but Ryan thinks that's gross.