Sunday, July 10, 2011

Walking My Ass Off

I love singing the line in Bob Dylan's song, My Back Pages... 
"Ah, but I was so much older then,
I’m younger than that now,"
...for the most part, 
that's exactly how
I feel.

Weight has always been an on again/off again issue for me
...I love to eat
...and I love to relax in front of the TV
... exercise
...not so much,
a bad combination resulting in a roller coaster of 
gaining/dieting/gaining/dieting
over the years.

40 and fat!


48 and fatter!
The hubby looks like he's about to be crushed.

Although it was easy to justify eating with abandon and my lackadaisical attitude to exercise with "I'd rather be fat and happy than thin and miserable"...I was not happy.  But it was not until the pending wedding of my daughter five years ago that I finally took the bull by the horns made some life style adjustments. Having already bought my dress, a size 16 ... I woke up one morning and made up my mind that there was no way I was going to wear that dress. So, starting with an elliptical machine and weighs and watching what I ate, I managed to loose 30 pounds in time for the wedding... and kept it off except for a little extra  padding I tend to put accumulate every winter and have to work off as soon as the weather is nicer and it's easier to "get the move on."

Since my initial weigh loss I have added a treadmill, a reclining ab bench, a rolling machine and a weigh bench to my little home gym in the basement, but aside for little "workout fits," they generally just sit there gathering dust. My preferred exercise of choice for the past year consist of mostly walking. In March I started using Nordic walking poles and have grown to love them so that walking now without them feels unnatural. Lately, I have been walking my ass off...at least 5K every day...the ass is slowly disappearing, along with my arms and legs...too bad the belly and boobs are so slow to follow suit!

I have given away all
my biggie clothes,
  haven't
worn a
baggy "T" in years,
and now when I sing along
with Bob, 
it's...

"Ah, but I was so much bigger then,
I’m smaller than that now,"


Happy walking,
Marisa


For more Sunday Citars visit Tabitia at Fresh Mommy Blog.


4 comments:

Grace said...

Mom, I went "wow" when I saw the picture of you at 48--I seem to have forgotten what you looked like then! I didn't realize how much weight you've lost. So congratulations on keeping it off!

Marisa @ Walking My Ass Off said...

Thanks Grace. Your Dad says he can't remember me being that big either but pictures don't lie...the proof is in the pudding...I was wearing size 14/16 but now am wearing size 6/8 and feeling great!

mamatigerj said...

This is great! I also love to walk, and have lost weight that way in the past. I need to get with it again. I didn't get any weight off for my daughter's wedding last month and had to settle for fat clothes and fat photos, but I have 6 more kids to marry off! Thanks for the inspiration, and thanks for the visit and comment.

Gardeningbren said...

Wow..from 16 to size 8...and healthy, enjoying life and by the looks and sounds of it...really happy!

Thanks for following my blog..tried your other one but had a lot of probs loading..this one much better (for loading I mean)))